Monday, June 6, 2011

random happenings

  • We had a great weekend doing stuff around the house and enjoying an unstructured Saturday. Fun happenings included:
  • weeded our "patch of land" (back patio) and planted three dahlia plants
  • bbq with some of our favorite people
  • had kebabs at said bbq
  • also had s'mores at said bbq
  • wore maternity shorts for the first time
  • ate lots of watermelon and cantaloupe
  • finished making paper flowers for fortune cookie's room (pictures to come)
  • made korean food with one of Nate's students
  • ate strawberry's and cool whip
  • made travel plans for our trip to Chicago (we leave tomorrow night! woot woot)
  • My feet have already begun to swell periodically through the day ... but now my hands have followed suit ... especially since the temperature has gotten more enjoyable (read - warmer) ... i knew this day would come ... but so soon?
  • Due to said swelling i thought it might be a good idea to take off my wedding ring before we take a plane to Chicago and back this week. Call me crazy but i don't think the altitude will help my swelling.
Remove wedding ring = good idea
Remove wedding ring in the AM while puffy (even after a shower) = not a good idea
  • As a result of trying to twist and lotion and floss and ice and everything else that google suggested to get a stuck ring off your finger ... my finger became dangerously swollen ... the nice people at SKIES jewelers ended up cutting it off ... needless to say this day has not been awesome. (yes it was my grandmother's ring and yes it can be fixed and no damage was done to the diamonds or the setting, the band was simply snipped and spread for my finger to slide right out. just one more milestone or marker for me to use after the baby is born i guess ... get my swelling and weight down to wedding ring size)
  • i am really really starting to understand the physical sacrifice of bearing a child ... and i am only halfway through pregnancy ... reality is harsh ... yet i still feel lucky.
  • On the bus home from work today there were 6+ people trying to help some teenage girl find Planned Parenthood ... it was especially awesome when she turned to me and asked if i knew where it was ... umm i have no idea ... yes my parenthood was planned, but not by an organization.
  • Planned Parenthood ... it sounds like a misnomer or maybe a euphemism ... shouldn't it be Pregnancy Prevention - at least you could keep the double p initials going.

5 comments:

  1. My heart bleeds for you! I know those feelings all too well. I swell like there's no tomorrow and gain a ridiculous amount of weight. Bad combo for the self esteem. But it's temporary and it's worth it. I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the wedding ring! I'm glad your finger didn't get trapped in there forever! You're right, having kids does involve such a physical sacrifice--I can tell you that my body will never be the same. But, like busymama says, it really really is worth it. Thinking of you!!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sorry to hear about the ring. Glad you had a fun time with a back yard (patio?) bbq. Hope your trip to Chicago is fun and hope you get feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! That's quite the story! Sounds painful :( I'm sure you were happy to have it snipped off after your poor finger had been put through so much. Hope you had fun in Chicago! Hope to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. o so sorry about your finger!! i got a ring stuck on my finger as a kid, and still remember struggling to get it off while my finger turned all blue! it was awful! i haven't been wearing my wedding ring since week 1 of pregnancy because of that very fear! im glad too, because things are awfully swelly these days!

    ReplyDelete